Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Arthur & Pat's Going To Hull?

from the Arthur and Pat's Facebook page
People who were mourning the loss of a local institution will now be complaining about the long, strange road they have to go down to get to it.

My sources tell me that the owners of Arthur and Pat's (the D'Allesandro siblings) have bought the former Sea Dog restaurant in Hull. They will kick off the cooking this summer.

Arthur and Pat's was an iconic Marshfield restaurant known for their yummy breakfast menu and their unique customer service. Even with Italian owners, they were a crown jewel of the Irish Riviera. To my knowledge, breakfast there was one of the better South Shore hangover cures.

They announced the end of the road with Marsh Vegas last April.

Everyone from the area has their own favorite A&P story. I liked that the waitresses would tell you what you were having that day if they knew you well enough. I hated their banana bread, but I wolfed down several pieces over the years, rather than risk an argument with someone who cooked 2-5 of my meals every week.

Also, if they knew that you were an orphan, they'd insist that you eat everything on the plate before you were allowed to leave.

Local news legend Jerry Williams ate there every day he was able to, and Aerosmith's Steven Tyler once called it the best food in the world. It won Best Breakfast (and usually retired the trophy) in every local publication, and in several Boston ones.

There is a job fair happening at the former Sea Dog on January 14, from 12-2 and then from 5-7.  They seem to be looking for summer positions. I think that you can also apply to work at the Marina during this job fair.

The Sea Dog is on A Street in Hull.

Here's what I don't know:

- I'm not sure if it will be called "Arthur & Pat's."

- I also don't know if they will keep the Sea Dog name. The Maine-based business never really caught on with the flatlanders.

- I'm not sure if they will be open year-round.

- I'm not sure if this building will be in a flood zone.

- I don't know if they will keep the same basic A&P menu.

- Arthur & Pat's has a mighty reputation, but it sort of exhausts itself by the time you get to Hull. Most of the people on the Hull Facebook page I was monitoring had never heard of it.

So, Arthur & Pat's is not dead! They're just migrating. Strappin' on the feed bag in H-U-Double-Hockeysticks just got a lot better!


11 comments:

  1. I'm happy to know they are to reopen. I purchase the late Jerry William's home and found a picture of him with Dee. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noooooooopoooooooooooo ! You bastards !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently one structure was removed from the flood zone by a special application. http://map1.msc.fema.gov/data/25/L/14-01-2147A-250269.pdf?LOC=f748ffc8ff94af1898dc39e8dbd0fcac

    ReplyDelete
  4. They should open in the bldg abutting Bridgemans

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favorite places to eat!! Little pricey for breakfast, but well worth it. Dee and her brother do a great job, as did their Dad. I'm glad they're relocating, I hated the news they were closing in Brant Rock! I don't doubt for a minute the locals will embrace it and give the other breakfast places in Hull a run for their money!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just as long as they keep the bar, the location in Hull is a great summer destination for boaters and non-boaters alike. If they get rid of the bar they won't survive in that area. I am looking forward!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Noooo. Will be so missed. Total bummer.
    Summers will not be the same. First Charlie's now Arthur and Pat's.
    So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We live right near the restaurant and were shocked as they were so busy last summer. Will they be open for breakfast, lunch and dinner? By time Toast gets a run for their money!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bummed to see De leave Marshfield,but I'm a big girl now and I can find my way to Hull and back.
    It's about the same distance from Marshfield to Plymouth, and that's never stopped us from getting to America's Home Town.
    Hope your relocation goes really well,De. We'll be seeing you! And looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I traveled from Hull to Brant Rock Marshfield ALL the time even on the hottest of days, now I can walk to one of the best breakfast places I've ever been to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sucks! I can't believe that they're moving to Hull!

    ReplyDelete